View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 06:48 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks, everybody, for the much-needed perspective. Even before injury, I never believed there was such a thing as multitasking; that belief continues!

I really like the idea (and it seems to be true) that relapses are the brain's way of consolidating and making new pathways; each relapse I've had has been shorter and not as bad as the previous one. I remember a few times last Summer coming down on my feet too hard--that would jostle my head and I'd be feeling horrible for the next week.

That doesn't happen now.

This relapse is mainly about my brain hurting when I try to take different things I'm reading and process them logically.

I was going to take a sick day today, but because of your encouragement, I will be going in to work and trying my best (I'm an editor).
What happened: in February of this past year, I suffered a fall. Though I did not hit my head, I came within three or four inches of hitting the ground, and the whiplash/ coup countercoup has caused lingering concussion symptoms.

I have had five or six prior head injuries, most of which completely healed within a few weeks, though one took about three months.

When I get my most depressed, I remember that I could have killed myself, which would have been far worse than anything I have gone through. June and July of 2013 were the absolute worst.

I have managed to keep my job in a field that demands a lot from my brain, though I do get cognitively tired very easily, and have some problems with reading comprehension and short-term memory, though some days I feel close to my pre-injury self.

The headaches of the Summer are gone (mainly) and I drink a lot of water and rest more than before.

I am on a supplement regimen, and that has helped; probably the medical intervention that helped the most were seven chiropractic manipulations of my neck in June and July.

I am fearful that I will be slightly brain damaged the rest of my life, but I am determined to enjoy the same things I enjoyed before, and I, even on days that I despair, know that the odds are with me.
Tom from Queens is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote