View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 08:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Google wasn't around (or at least it was, but not in my home or even in my knowledge-sphere when I got Dx'd in 2001 - I think I had heard of it, but it was a world away from me).

Still, there was lots of media-hype about motor neurone disorder at that time, so when I started slurring my words, going numb, losing my vision, pee-ing myself and tripping all over everything I was terrified and thought 'this is it'. I was only thirty-two and had two small children.

My diagnosis ended up being such a relief, although I was convinced, with everything I read and saw (and later Googled - because my computer ignorance didn't last long: I had a physical job back then and had to 'reinvent myself' and do something less demanding) that I was primary progressive.

Time told the story and I re-trained, became a teacher (in my industry, teaching business and retail to adults) - I have done this for ten years, and so far - touch wood, I have not progressed too badly.

Knowledge IS power, but sometimes, it is debilitating - you just need to be careful that you don't make it a 'self-fulfilling prophecy'.

Just my humble thoughts

xx

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 Craniotomy to clip brain aneurysm 2004. ITP 1993.
Lynn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (04-20-2014), Erika (04-14-2014), Kitty (04-14-2014), SallyC (04-14-2014)