View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 02:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
The levels and ranges were designed to reflect people NOT taking supplements. It is only to be expected that taking something everyday would shift those levels to a different reading.

What is missing from our medical community is the information about what is serious for those taking "something" compared to someone not.

All we have to go on today, is the patient's information about how they "feel". If something doesn't agree with you, don't take it. Then there is the testing itself. If the red cells burst in the sample and spill their contents then artificially high readings can result. But they do not reflect the true serum levels.

There are now testing labs that only measure intracellular levels, so that mistakes cannot happen as often.
So are you saying that perhaps I shouldn't be as concerned?

I developed neuropathy straight away only three days after my first chemo infusion. The doctors gave me B6 tablets and told me not to take more than 100mg a day. I can't remember but I think I took a modest amount daily for two months. I kept bugging them to test my B6 and finally a couple of months later I got my test and the value showed around 12000 even though it was supposed to be below 180. Now 8 months after my first infusion it still is around 300 and hasn't fully returned to normal. I read about other people who had b6 toxicity induced neuropathy with levels around 700. So I've been thinking that perhaps taking B6 actually compounded my chemo neuropathy and made it worse. What's worse is I had to figure all this out on my own and the doctors don't seem to care.

Thanks for any thoughts.
v5118lKftfk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote