View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 01:30 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

If you're uncomfortable saying anything, then don't.

I had become disabled a few years before my MG was diagnosed, so telling coworkers wasn't an issue. I'm not sure how I would've handled it. People really do not "get" MG.

Heck, some doctors don't get it either!

My family and a few friends new right away. It's been a learning curve for them, but they mostly understand it. Who wants to know as much as we do about MG? I mean, we HAVE TO know because we need to stay as strong as possible.

I can't remember who compared MG to a checking account (sorry guys) but it was a great comparison. When you run out of money, well, you're writing checks your body can't cash. What movie is that from?!!

I use the "muscle gas" metaphor. You can't run a car without gas, and our body's 640 skeletal muscles can't run without muscle gas (acetylcholine). They will sputter and not "go" anymore. Normal people have a full tank of it, but MGers start out with a third of a tank or less. And we sometimes have to rest or take drugs to refill our tank on a daily basis.

It helps to write down what you might want to say, too. For example, my family knows that I can't eat outside with them in the summer if they have a BBQ. I don't begrudge them doing that, and will stay inside to eat. There's a lot of give and take with this disease!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
polprncss (04-17-2014)