Thread: coconut oil?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 06:34 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default symptom and med changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satwar View Post
I have been using coconut oil for over a year now and can share some of my experiences:

(1) I am taking what many would consider massive doses, up to 12 TBS per day. My blood work has changed dramatically for the better in all respects (except for fasting glucose, which remained a little on the high side 140, more about that latter)

(2) MCT oil is indeed more ketogenic than coconut oil. In fact C-8 MCT oil is the most ketogenic of them all. Coconut oil however has a lot more going for it than just ketones so I recommend trying a 50-50 mixture.

(3) Serum ketone levels are depressed with the ingestion of carbohydrate. People with a tendency towards insulin resistance have a greater insulin reaction to carbohydrate. Practicing a low carb diet will result in a ten fold increase in serum ketones 1 - 3 mM/l, compared to taking coconut oil with a conventional balanced meal with carbohydrate (The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney & Volek). You must also restrict protein, usually to under 120 g per day, but you must be careful with this. Fasting glucose is now 80-100.

(3) The higher the serum ketones level, the better I feel and the PD symptoms fade away. Ketone levels are self regulating on a ketogenic diet. Scientific feasibility studies of a hyperketogenic diet (90 % fat) can elevate serum ketone to 4 - 8 mM/l

(4) I take a combination of coconut oil, C-8 MCT oil and ketone salts to help moderate my serum ketone levels throughout the day. I take a blood sample each morning before breakfast, as a basis for starting my ketone supplementation for the day. Supplementation for the rest of the day is based on my symptoms.
Congrats on this, I believe PD is intimately tied in with insulin issues so I am wondering how your symptoms are and if you have been able to reduce your PD meds? If you could please update us with that, and thanks for sharing
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote