View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 02:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks everyone for all your responses and warm welcomes And thanks for answering all my questions Annie.

I don't have much too report. I received a copy of the findings of my first consultation letter from my neurologist. He was very detailed in writing up all the history I gave to him.

He's a myasthenia expert based in at one of the big hospitals at South London so I guess I'm seeing the right guy. He's very poker faced when you talk to him so it's hard to gauge his response. He's overall finding and recommendations were

"Clinically it is not definite that she has myasthenia, but the symptoms might be suggestive and some additional symptoms might suggest thyroid disorder which could be immune. For this reason I am arranging to recheck the acetylcholine receptor antibodies, thyroid function and autoantibody screen. She will also have neurophysiology study to include repetitive stimulation and single fibre EMG"

Unfortunately I no longer have the results of my initial antibodies test from a few years ago. I accidently threw the piece of paper out whilst cleaning up.

I don't even remember how the results were presented but I remember being able to understand that it hadn't come back as a negative.

I also have a referral letter from another doctor where they wrote that the results were borderline / weak positive. So that's all the information I'm working with.

I'm living in London by myself all my family are back in Australia which is why I'm finding the medical system a bit harder to navigate as I'm quite unfamilar with it.

I can't post a picture of my ptosis before and after ice due to being a junior member.
Is it possible i can PM it to someone that can post it for me? I've also recently read that it's possible to have ptosis from being hypothyroid. I don't know if anyone has any experience of it? But I guess it may me possible in my case.

Do you also all find that alcohol seems to make your ptosis get worse really quickly? One beer or wine seems to make a huge impact on my eyes.

It's kind of strange that the Dr doing the SFEMG couldn't seem to tell whether I was moving the muscle or not. I would have thought it was a sensitive test that they'll be able to pick up on the fact that you weren't contracting a muscle as directed. Weird.

I'll keep you updated. I don't see the neurologist again until the end of the month.

How everyone is keeping well
eyejoin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote