View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 04:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi kemily

I'm so sorry you have this at 16 - being 16 is hard enough without CRPS to deal with! You must be a very strong and amazing young woman.

The likelihood is that you won't be able to completely get rid of the CRPS pain you are feeling. I know that's a hard thing to hear, but it is very possible to deal with this disease and still have a good life. Not just a life, but a good one

It sounds like you and your dad have some issues, and I can understand your frustration if you're feeling even a little bit that he doesn't 'get' what you're going through. If he will, find some information about CRPS like the Wikipedia site, and ask him to read up on it. It's very important that he know what you're dealing with, but the truth is that no one who hasn't had this can understand what it's like.

Have you been offered counselling of any kind? You soukd have been. I'm sorry your primary doc isnt great, is there any chance of finding someone else? If not, then your best bet is to learn about CRPS yourself by reading good sites like rsdhope, Wikipedia, the NHS site etc, and maybe print off a sheet of info to take to your doc and ask him to read it. You could maybe ask your dad to find some income on it to give to your doc - then both of them would learn something about it, and maybe have more understanding of you.

Finding non-med treatments for this is a good plan. I only take lyrica now, having tried a few meds, and I use massage, meditation and movement as my treatments lol. It's much better than it was. My first year was the worst, and things are definitely more manageable now. Look after your body as much as you can by eating as healthily as you can, moving about as much as you can without making your pain too bad, and staying positive. Avoid ice on your skin altogether, and ask in your chemist/health store for unfragrances Epsom salts. Use a couple of tablespoons in a warm bath or wrap some in a damp cloth/sock and put it on your skin when it burns. The magnesium in it is very good for you, and helps cool the burn long-term.

Good for you on wanting to go back to school. So many people think being off sick is a treat of some kind - but it isn't when you're feeling rubbish and want nothing more than to feel normal again . I think school is certainly possible, it just might take a little while to get your body ready.

Never give up hope of something better than this, and keep up the good work with your school stuff until you can get back there. It'll help distract you from the CRPS symptoms - and any distraction is good!!

Good luck and keep posting x

Bram.

Coeliac since 2007.
Patella femoral arthritis both knees.

Keep smiling!
Brambledog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
birchlake (04-16-2014), eevo61 (04-17-2014)