View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 04:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi There,

I'm a relative new-comer, but also on the "youngish" side (I'm 28 ). Here's what I'd share with you that I've figured out thus far:

1. I find that my symptoms are definitely intensified by my mental state. I think the illness has deep psychological roots. I know that I developed mine while going through an insanely stressful period of my life. I had been injured plenty of other times and not developed CRPS (one time I even broke 4 ribs and was fine in a month!). I'm not a physician or anything, but I can tell you that without a doubt, I'm confident that this disease absolutely has a relationship to one's mental state. I think stress + traumatic injury kicks off pain sensitivity. The key s figuring out how to calm that down -- and I think exhibiting personal control is a key factor. I've just recently started talking to a pain therapist and I can tell you -- I'm already making leaps and bounds when it comes to pain. Sure, I'm not pain free and I still have bad moments, but man am I noticing a beneficial effect.

2. Do anything that takes the pain away. Personally I've found a that a key therapy is reducing pain at all times as much as possible. It sounds crazy, but I literally took a foot bath to work and I soak my feet in it while working. Since starting this (two weeks ago) I've noticed a definite improvement in symptoms! It simply relaxes my nervous system / body in a way that helps avoid flares.

3. Have hope. You're young. You're healthy. You are GOING to beat this. The prognosis is fantastic for people in your shoes. I'm actually on the "old" end of the scale, but my doctor compares me too a teenager since I'm an athlete and in fantastic health -- so he thinks I'm going to beat it to. We've got this! We're going to to kick CRPS right out of our lives! Trust me!

If you're located in Seattle, definitely look into Seattle childrens hospital. They have a fantastic program for CRPS patients. At this point, screw waiting for your parents. If needs be, contact them yourself. They'll help you, I promise.

If you're not, I'd simply suggest contacting the nearest pediatric (childs) hospital. It'll be hard to arrange an appointment on your own, but I know you can do it -- get in there and get this taken care of!
toepain2013 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eevo61 (04-17-2014)