View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi pennye,

A crown may be able to support a fractured tooth but it really all depends on where and how large the fracture is in the tooth. The dentist may or may not be able to tell that information from an x-ray. He may have to remove the filling to get a better look at it.

Please make sure that your dentist follows the proper safety protocol when removing that mercury filling. Just drilling into it will cause the mercury to explode into zillions of pieces and it will get lodged in the tissue. Since mercury is toxic in any amount, it is imperative to go to a dentist who routinely performs the proper removal protocol. This includes using a rubber damn to isolate the tooth while it's being drilled on, high powered suction held over the tooth to reduce the off spray of mercury and oxygen via a nasal cannula on the patient. After the filling is removed and while the rubber damn in still in place, the treated area should be rinsed with copious amounts of water while the assistant hovers over the tooth with the high speed suction. All of these things are imperative to limit the exposure to the mercury vapors.

Root canals do not fix a fractured tooth. They do not make the tooth healthy again. So to do a root canal on a fractured tooth is just putting off the inevitable which is removal of the tooth.

Do not wear the night guard if it makes your teeth sore as that can cause irreversible irritation to the pulp and ligament. You need to have it adjusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennye View Post
I have a lower left molar fracture, its all in tact, I was told the last check-up January, My question is do I have a chance in just getting a crown or is it likely the dentist will say root canal, the plan was just crown but what happens when the dentist removes the 35 yr old silver filling? I am not scare of a crown but I wont ever do a RC not after reading this site daily for a year. I would rather have dentures lol lol. How does a crown fix a fractured tooth? I am getting a tiny bit of pain not deep but also am wearing a mouth guard on the bottom and a few teeth hurt, its tight on the teeth.
Appreciate your time, thank you.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote