Thread: dogs
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 07:48 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I've heard great things about service dogs and it's something I have considered...but not sure what kind I would get. Even though I have balance issues...I think having a smaller service dog would actually be better for me. One that could retrieve things for me (because sometimes I just can't get things I need because I can't get up), alert people if I need help (I have run into situations where I was "trapped" on the floor for several hours because I couldn't get up and no one walked by), etc. I don't think I am at the point yet where I need a service dog...but as time goes on it may become a necessary step.

One thing though that helps me with the space issue is my walker. I need it for balance and it helps with the pain...but it also has the benefit that people tend to give me a bubble. Not always...there are always exceptions...but I could count the number of those exceptions for an entire year on one hand (and they all happened in Disney World or Disneyland...so not common day occurrences). I don't know why the walker makes such a bigger difference with the space issue than just a cane or crutches (I used both of those before)...but it does. Maybe because it's harder to ignore and not as easy to miss (though I don't think I understand how you can miss crutches).

Anyway...just wanted to share my thoughts on both...sorry for getting a little off topic. I think the service dog is a good idea...but it would also be a lot of work and it is costly. There might be other options that could serve the same purpose that would cost less (like the walker). I got my walker on amazon.com for about $100 and it's a good one (4 wheels, canvas bag under seat so it's easy to fold up, large 8 in wheels so it works well even on uneven or rough surfaces, pink, shorter height since I'm only 5ft tall, etc). But it depends on what your main needs would be for a service dog. If it's just the space thing for now and/or balance needs...then a walker might help with that...but if you need things retrieved for you, help opening doors, etc then a walker obviously cannot do those things (though it is handy to use the basket under the seat to keep things with me that I might need and to carry things).

I think I also saw a post on here about service dogs in the past...definitely do a search because I know people posted with their actual experiences and they were all pretty positive.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eevo61 (04-17-2014), RSD ME (04-17-2014)