Thread: dogs
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 01:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have written quite a bit about service dogs on this forum, so I will just give links to those threads. However... After being around the service dog "world" now for over 5 years, I no longer recommend anyone train their own dog unless they have had EXTENSIVE background in training obedience dogs, including at least to CDX level, preferably UD. Even then, I have read over and over and over again of people thinking they can train their own dog, and in reality, the dogs will not get the correct training for public work. I have had over 40 years training experience and taught classes, showed competitively etc... And still, training my own dog was quite a challenge, and expensive.

If your dog is not properly trained for public work, it is a liability. To your health, and to other people. People, and their children do very dumb things around dogs, especially service dogs and the risk of injury is not to be ignored... Especially in a society where everyone sues for every thing. I had one toddler come flying out of no where, grab my dog and tumble her to the floor, landing heavily on top of her. I do not have children, she is not around children very often. If you do not constantly keep up your training for these type situations, and the dog were to do anything that would injure a child... It could be very expensive. I heard of one instance where a young child tried to jump over a service dogs leash, fell, hit his head on a store shelf. Kid cut his head, required a couple stitches. Parent sued service dog owner and the store. Cost the service dog owner several thousand dollars because they did not have proper insurance. I carry a very high $$$ insurance policy for liability on my dog.

Places like Canine Companions for Independence do not charge for their dogs. Most of the GOOD reputable service dog organizations do not charge. But there are a LOT that put out under trained dogs at very high prices. Even though CCI does not charge, you will be required to travel to their facility to stay for 1-2 weeks to be matched with a dog, and to get basic training to learn to use the dog. You pay for that yourself.

CCI was featured on a PBS special a couple years back that can be found on YouTube, and worth watching. I believe it was called Through a Dogs Eyes, but not 100% sure. The woman who was featured is Jennifer Arnold. That should help find it on YouTube.

Here are the links to other threads about service dogs here in the RSD forum.
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ht=Service+dog

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ht=Service+dog

There is also a service dog or service animal sub forum here on NeuroTalk, in the Pets forum.

Also.... About training your own dog. Even though I did things right in picking a dog, my dog has had some issues with bladder infections. I just got back from the vet today, and even though she is still a young dog, we are waiting on test results because it looks like she may have some sort of kidney disease. This may mean her retirement. IF she was a "Program" dog, the Program would take her back, rehome her into a pet home, and place another dog with me. Instead, since I can only afford one dog, and I won't rehome her... This means I could go many years with a sick dog, then get a puppy, start all over, and be about 3 years for that pup to learn to what I need it to. IF that pup ended up having what it takes for public work... As way more than half don't make it, even with a very experienced trainer.

Also, in one if the posts, I mention the organization IAADP. They no longer have sponsors covering medications, flea and tick products etc. 3 weeks ago, I paid (with discount from my vet) about $240 for annual exam, shots, flea and tick preventative and heartworm preventative. The cost is higher depending on the size of dog. Josie is 47 lbs, so she squeaks in under 50 lbs, or the cost would be even higher.
daylilyfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon6715 (04-17-2014), Brambledog (04-18-2014), catra121 (04-18-2014), RSD ME (04-18-2014)