Thread: Mad
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 11:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

First off, let me say that I totally understand. In fact, this morning I woke up with an immense amount of anger. It isn't fair that some of us have to deal with this -- particularly those of us that are young and haven't yet realized our full potential.

I am also young like you. I'm 28, just about to turn 29. I've been struggling with CRPS for a 14 months now, and it's really taken it's toll. Just about everything in my life has changed, and it's all been really hard to accept. The hardest thing for me involved giving up soccer. I've always been an athlete -- one of the guys who could play back to back soccer games without subbing out. The guy everyone identified as the ultimate athlete. Now I can barely play any sports (though I swim like a champ -- everyone is amazed at how long I can swim) -- but I can't tell you how much I miss playing competative sports.

I've also really struggled with the fact that I'm single. How do I date when I can barely make it through the day? How to I muster the self confidence and think that I'm worth someone's affection when I feel broken, depressed and not worth anyone's time.

I will say, however, that negative energy (whether stress or depression) is something each of us have to work immensely to contain and manage. It's ok and totally normal to be sad, angry, overwhelmed, etc -- confronting the challenges that CRPS isn't easy for anyone. But we have to do our best to accept the challenges and overcome them -- ultimately it'll make us a stronger person.

Personally I've only begun to accept the way my life has changed, but something that keeps me going is acknowledging what a strong person I'll become as I overcome this. It sounds crazy, but this disease has already made me a better person. I'm never frustrated with little things anymore (like irritable coworkers, barking dogs or crying babies). I smile at everyone on the street in hopes that it'll brighten their day -- or help anyone that needs anything. CRPS has in this way been a blessing in disguise -- the things I took for granted I now value immensely, and I no longer fret the small things. It may have taken away my ability to wear Vans sneakers or play soccer -- but it's made me a stronger person mentally and a better person socially.

Just know that there's others like you out there and we're all in this together. We're going to win and live happy, healthy lives -- even if it involves a lot of challenges.

If you happen to be in Seattle I'd love to grab a cup of coffee or something and share our stories.

Stay strong and don't hesitate to reach out if you need support.
toepain2013 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
allentgamer (04-18-2014), RSD ME (04-18-2014), visioniosiv (04-18-2014)