View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi pennye,

When decay is very deep and has entered the pulp chamber then the options are to have a root canal or an extraction. Sometimes the pulpal exposure is minimum and a medicated filling is placed to see if the tooth rejuvenates itself over the pulp. If it does then the dentist can move forward with a permanent filling or crown. If the tooth becomes symptomatic or infection occurs then a filling or crown is not adequate as the tooth will continue to be a problem.

Sometimes an xray will show that the decay is in or near the pulp, but not always. Other times the dentist can't be sure until he drills the old filling and decay out. Yes, all of the filling material should be removed during the preparation for the crown to be sure that there is no decay hiding underneath the filling.

The fracture line could be a craze line... those are two different things. Fracture is deeper than a craze line.

Most night guards can be adjusted and they need to be as they are not going to fit perfectly until they are adjusted. Impressions of the teeth are only so accurate so when the appliance is put in the mouth it needs to be adjusted to your exact bite. Your night guard should not be too tight or too lose and it should not make any teeth feel sore.

I don't know what you mean by smack your jaw? Please explain that.

Mercury is just as toxic as asbestos if not more. But there is little to worry about about regarding the removal of the mercury filling so long as the dentist follows the proper removal protocol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennye View Post
thank you for your quick reply, at what point does a dentist know if the filling is too deep and then he says oh you need a RC? The xray or when he romoves the filling, I am assuming the filling has to come out to do a crown? All a person has to do is see this procedure RC on youtube and forget about it, I will never have a RC. The fracture runs up and down when looking at the outside of the tooth where a crazy line might be. I didn't get the guard from a dentist went straight to a denturist not sure if he will adjust it, he did a mold of bottom teeth and then I went back in an hour and 50.00 later I have a guard. Another question, do missing teeth right after an extraction cause a person to smack there jaw? I don't grind I smack open and shut I am sure I have caused several cracked teeth, and one fracture and the last one was extracted because he wanted to do a RC and I refused. I was told needing 4 crowns. Thankfully I did because the tooth turned out to have several cracks and didn't know if it was in the root or not. It was a premolar. The filling material scares me now that you say so much precaution has to be done, it sounds like asbestos removal.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote