View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 01:28 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

All I have are things that don't work, but maybe it will be helpful to someone.

-Massage: It felt good for about 5 minutes and then the whole following week was the worst experience I ever paid for. (I did this for a month straight and then gave up.)

-Pain Killers: I tried so many I can't remember, but a few of them made me dangerously depressed, others made me sick to my stomach, but most just did nothing. Advil works, but I had to start taking 800mg every 4 hours and that just isn't healthy so I gave that up except on very special occasions where I have to be able to function (such as this summer when I will be a bridesmaid in a wedding).

-Heat/Cold: both are triggers for migraines and relief just depending, and the relief never lasts long because if I use it for to long it becomes a trigger for another migraine

-Caffeine: It can be a relief, but now I am addicted so it is also a trigger, I have to drink a cup first thing in the morning and then it is relief for an hour or so and then another at noon, and then another around 4. Sometimes it feels better for a short time and then it makes it worse.

-Exercise: Anything that causes my head to jiggle or jostle in any way causes extreme headaches that last weeks. Also, anything that raises my heart rate or how hard I am breathing. So basically anything besides an easy walk is out. I believe that if I could just get through the pain for 2 months I might begin to see improvement from exercise, but I can't spend the rest of those 2 months in bed, so I can't try out the experiment.

-Rest: It is good to sleep or rest, but since we can't exercise too much rest can cause anxious energy which is a trigger. Also, the pressure of even a soft pillow is painful, I have to constantly wake up to switch sides so that I have a nice full headed headache in the mooring instead of a one sided headache. I know someone who swears that her memory foam pillow is magic, but it does not work for me, too much pressure.

-Reading: I have switched to audio books, but I have to listen to them on speakers not headphones.

-Drinking: Not drinking enough definitely causes migraines, but drinking enough does not stop them from occurring.

-Crying: a big trigger

-Computers: any bright screens hurt a lot, Inverting the colors on my computer and phone help, but pictures come over as inverted, so that is hard

-Sickness: I don't know if anyone else noticed this but I catch more flus than I thought one person could. I catch everything that goes around. And when I do, the pain escalates. I haven't found a way to stop this.

-Friend: The only thing I can recommend is to have a buddy who you can call or text every time it gets bad. You can use whatever you want, but I use a particular emoticon and the more of them that I text her the more she knows it is hurting. She also gets daily migraines, so she does the same to me when she is having a hard time. Almost daily one or the other of us is texting pain signals and it is just so nice to be able to tell someone and to know that they understand. We live 2000 miles apart, but we feel each other's pain and that is a invaluable gift. We make jokes about going to live in the mountains where the air is clear and eating only simple foods and having no stress or worries so that we could at least be alone in our pain instead of with all those around us who love us and expect more from us constantly. This is my best healing advice: Find a pain buddy who you can share every excruciating moment with so that you are not alone. To be alone is to fail.

So, My advice is:
1) Go see a doctor and make sure that nothing worse is going on.
2) DO NOT GET A 2ND CONCUSSION!
3) Find a pain buddy.
4) It is ok to receive help, other people like to help, it makes them feel good.

Good Luck!
Happy Easter!
~Margarite

Fell off a horse in late winter of 2009 blacked out for a couple seconds, had amnesia for 10 hours (still don't remember this time), had 2 CT scans, 2 MRI's, 1 MRA all negative. Since the first concussion I have continually knocked my head into different things purely by accident or from being stupid. These many concussions over a short period of time have caused
constant migraines, nausea, and dizziness/lack of balance.
Migraine triggers are:
light sensitivity (especially to florescent or bright lights)
sound sensitivity (especially to high pitched or loud sounds)
temperature sensitivity (especially to cold or extreme heat)
activity (especially if breathing increases or head is jostled)
pressure on head (sinuses, hats, headbands, sunglasses, pony-tails)
lacks or quality (food, sleep, water)
tension (stress, tight muscles, tired eyes, sickness)
Margarite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon062314 (04-27-2014), concussedlawyer (05-09-2014), Living_Dazed (04-30-2014), PamelaJune (04-30-2014), Roads (04-19-2014)