Thread: My Story
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 12:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Big Update

2 weeks since my last update and there is quite a bit of information to add. So much so that I hope I'm not leaving anything out.

First and foremost the most important information to report is the results from my nerve conduction study. Drum roll please..... The results showed the observable nerves in my legs were normal, which I pretty much expected with small fiber symptoms. It was nice to rule out large fiber involvement and maybe something more ominous. But, wait it gets better..... The study also showed that I have Ulnar Neuropathy! (elbow) That's right, I have nerve damage where I least expected it and have very little discomfort. I've noticed positional numbness in my left hand, but I always thought it was a circulation problem due to my arm being in weird positions. Go figure, I have no pain where I have obvious nerve damage and excruciating pain where the are no signs of nerve damage (yet).

So my doctor emailed me the results and at the end of the email he mentioned that if I was interested in a skin biopsy he would talk to a colleague about having one done. I was very impressed that he offered a skin biopsy without me having to ask. Not only that, but the fact he had to ask a colleague about it showed he was willing to go out of his way to have one done! This is the first time since I developed this awful pain that a doctor has impressed me with their interest in helping me. Maybe I'm just used to doctors shrugging me off so far and I'm easily inpressed.

As far as my physical condition there are also changes to report. I'll start with the good. The burning, freezing, and skin sensitivity are noticeable less. Far from gone but I'll take any relief I can get. Not sure if it's the medication, vitamins, healing, or a combination of all 3. I've also noticed I'm getting some normal feel in my feet back on occasion. The past few months the sensations in my feet were so altered that even carpet felt like walking on steel wool. I've noticed the softness of the carpet coming back in short bursts. I was also able to do a doctors appointment, shopping, and a few errands around the house which required me to be on my feet for extended periods of time. Although uncomfortable and requiring the use of sandals, it was something I couldn't have accomplished a few weeks back. I definitely payed for it at the end of the day with sore feet, but it was mentally rewarding to accomplish physical tasks. I also can't remember the last time I felt an electric shock in my body!

Unfortunately I still get altered sensations, aching feet, and the feeling of walking of rocks which vary in intensity day to day and with different foot wear. I can't say for sure any of those symptoms have lessened, if so it's not by much. Definitely not worse, but maybe I'm adapting better? I've even felt a little better at work which is the one time I don't have control over how much I exert myself, which is physically and mentally difficult at times.

I'm no longer convinced alcohol is the cause of my neuropathy symptoms. Maybe it played a part, and I'm just happy I have been able to seriously cut back on my drinking. I've learned that health is important and fragile. Life is also short. With that being said I've decided I'm going to allow myself to drink socially and in serious moderation. I had a few beers last weekend and don't feel guilty because I haven't touched it since. I proved to myself that I can show restraint with alcohol and have learned just how toxic it can be to bodily systems. (plus even in small amounts it really helps with the pain). I'm still trying to eat healthier, get more exercise, and give my body a chance to heal and thrive. Obviously I will no longer be counting sober days.

-146 days since Left foot symptoms
-99 days since right foot symptoms
-74 days on Nortiptyline (30mg)
-68 days on Supplements
-28 days on gabapentin (600mg x 3)
IH8PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (04-20-2014)