View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 11:14 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Shiney Sue

Most swimming pools at YMCA's are also geared to help handicapped people and any of them who teach the arthritis classes have to be. Rails on the steps you need to get down into the pool, lifeguard on duty who will help you get started down the steps. And for those who can't go down the steps, there is likely a hydraulic chair that lifts you into the water. Ours is in a small town and it has one, I would think that larger cities would have even better equip.

I bought a thick terrycloth robe that I put in a chair by poolside and I put it on immediately and then go into a hot shower in the dressing room. This keeps me from freezing. I do the same in the Summer, because my body freezes year round.

There are body flotation devices that you can wear in the pool, and most pools have a rail along the side. The long "bopper sticks' that Dahlek is talking about can be held around the waist to help you walk in the water. We call them noodle's here. They are simply long foam sticks that bend and help you with water exercises. I did this when I started going to the classes. Then soon I got to where I didn't have to use them. I can't wait to start back.

Billye
Silverlady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote