Thread: Huperzine A:
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 03:47 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Huperzine A:

I am beginning a trial of this supplement (which is really a drug and very potent). It is still over the counter, and has been used mostly as a "smart drug".

It is a cholinergic acting substance and as such should be handled with care. My son is using it for ADHD and concentration issues. So he recommended it to me.

I started today with 50mcg in the morning. I am feeling stronger today, and have much less general pain.

So I looked it up more in detail just now and found a chronic pain entry discussing it for neuropathic pain.
http://www.pnas.org/content/110/8/E746.short
It appears to be a NMDA antagonist which is what most of the recommendations consist of for nerve pain. Magnesium is another NMDA antagonist too.

I bought the Source Naturals from Amazon. 100mcg dose which I cut in half for now. (it was an nice affordable price there).

Our MG forum has some posts on this too...to help them with muscle weakness and I am noticing this action today on this first dose for me. I am optimistic this will be a nice thing to help me cope better with my chronic pain. This winter was pretty hard on me.

I'll keep this thread going, in case anyone wants to respond.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
beatle (04-20-2014), birdman (04-21-2014), CeCe55 (04-20-2014), Dr. Smith (04-20-2014), hopeful (04-21-2014), Kitty (04-20-2014), Lewie (04-23-2014), Theta Z (07-28-2014), yupings (04-19-2014)