Thread: O/T Groceries
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 11:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Mel,
I live in the city but have a small 10'x14' garden.
I have black thumb, but my wife puts in bell peppers,
eggplant, tomatoes, okra, squashes (zucchini) ,sometimes snow peas,
leaf lettuce, etc. Depends on which starter plants she gets, sometimes from seed.
Summertime is sliced beefsteak tomatoes, stuffed eggplant, eggplant on the grill, bell peppers & zucchini on the kabobs, cheaper meats marinated in cubes for the kabobs, chicken breast (I like bone-in for the grill), ribs (seldom), roasts on the grill- I have a habit of running out of propane in
the middle of a marinated (just some soy, Worcestershire, garlic powder, black pepper & red wine vinegar for a coupla hours), bottom round roast (sometimes wish I had charcoal again, but went 'gas' a coupla years ago cause the grill was on sale- love it) cause its hard to gauge when the tank is low. So we 'finish' in the oven.
Cheaper meats marinated, flank steak, bottom round (instead of top), and others. We buy on sale & we'll buy a 5-6 lb roast and have cubes, roast(s), julienned for stir fry. We wait for fish on sale (love shrimp) and freeze our portions so we get more than one or 2 meals out of it. Each pkg is about a pound to a pound and a half (I use a scale). I do the cut-up butchering of the larger pieces or whole poultry.
When the college kid is in town, we double our consumption- he eats as much as we do together. Plus what we usually don't have, sodas, chips, snacks, nuts.....junk food. But pre-portioning saves waste and keeps costs down. If we have leftovers its usually less than 1/2 a portion, so its a next day snack (or a pet treat).