View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 06:14 AM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Confused 7 weeks TOS post-op issues

Hi all,

I'm in the 7th week of my post surgery recovery for TOS - the surgery involved both removal of the first rib and a scalenectemy.

My recovery seemed to be going very well for the first 2 weeks, and everything was going well according to my physiotherapists and surgeon.

Towards end of the 2nd week of my recovery I decided to go for a casual cycle on spinning machine, thinking nothing of it. I noticed after about 5 min that the surgical area didn't quite feel OK (but couldn't quite put my finger on the issue) so I stopped immediately.

Soon afterwards, I noticed the muscle in my neck (near the incision), just above my clavicle seemed to be quite tense, hard and prominent (more so than before I had exercised) - almost like a spasm. I thought nothing much of this at the time as there was still some swelling around the surgical area and I assumed it would settle with the rest of the swelling. I spoke to my physio the next day, and she didn't at all condemn me from cycling, but did note that the surgical area is close to the upper lung, and any excessive cardio can cause irritation to the region - nonetheless, I've done no cardio since, to be safe.

The tense, hard muscle seems to be my sternocleidomastoid (SCM), and has not settled down since, although the rest of the area has by and large settled quite well. Although my neck has a full range of motion when I roll it - when I try to isolate and stretch this spasmed? muscle it is quite painful.

Apart from that, the area is still a bit tender and I still can't sleep on it comfortably (although I do have full range of motion of the neck and arm without significant additional discomfort) - I also get occasional twitches in the arm and shoulder. This concerns me slightly as my surgeon told me I can return to "normal" activities after 6 weeks. It all seemed to be going great before the cycling incident and since then things seem to have slowed down a lot.

Should I be worried?? Any advice, input or opinions are very welcome
Tebs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote