View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 10:39 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Hi Birdman, welcome.

Sounds like you've been doing some homework.

B12 injections are up to you, but I don't think they're necessary. The absorption problem for some is the MTHFR factor (you may have come across this) which prevents B12 from being absorbed/assimilated properly. Many folks here (self included) are taking 1000-5000 mcg of B12 (methylcobalamin)/day, which seems to be working fine to get our levels up there.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that your change in symptoms is due to changing your lifestyle for the better. It's entirely possible that this would have happened anyway—possibly even worse—there's just no way to tell for certain.

Are you taking any other supplements? When the burning started in my feet, I was given the typical scrip for gabapentin, which I tried briefly and at a significantly lower dose (100 mg/day was working for the few days I took it). Fortunately, around the same time, I found this site, and tried R-Lipoic acid (100 mg/day) and it stopped the burning completely within a very short time (it takes longer for most). I haven't needed/taken gabapentin since (the date is around my join date under my avatar). A while after, I began taking B5 (pantothenic acid) along with the R-Lipoic acid, and my symptoms improved even more (reducing the needle jabs & shocks).

Pantothenic Acid

Some here have also had good reults with B1 (Benfotiamine), Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALC), and others.

I imagine you've found it by now, but there's a wealth of information in the Peripheral Neuropathy forum—so much that it will take a while to read/assimilate it all. I'm confident we'll see you there.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 04-21-2014 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
birdman (04-22-2014)