View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Bottledspirit,

Glad to hear his extraction sites are doing well and he no longer has any pain.

Regarding the clindamycin.... there is no way to know if he will have an onset of intestinal upset from this medication or not. The BEST thing he can do is eat nutritiously and take the probiotic every single. The longer he stays on it the better. Ideally people should be supplementing with a probiotic every day of their lives to maintain a healthy intestinal flora. I've been taking probiotics daily for over 20+ years

Pre made yogurt is a highly processed food and most often contains some form of sweetener (including those with added fruit in them). Sweeteners, all forms of it, actually kill good bacteria and feed bad bacteria. Pre made yogurt also contains very little if any live bacteria by the time it is purchased because the bacterias are sensitive to change in temperature and processed foods going through various temperature changes before they even hit the supermarket shelves. The best yogurt with real nutritional value is when you make it yourself. That is why it's usually easiest to just take the probiotic supplement if you don't have time to make the yogurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottledspirit View Post
He went to the dentist today.

What was related to me: it's healing well, he took the packing out of the lower left (lower right had already fallen out last week), there was no new packing up in place. The dentist took a look at the bone potrusion said it was fine and would heal up in a couple weeks. My partner asked about pain when eating on the right side (he only mentioned this to me yesterday) dentist sai it was normal. My partner did not ask about the right eye pain since he said it had stopped doing that. No follow up appointment was booked, dentist said call if there's concerns.

He has been off all pain meds for about 24hrs since the pain is so minimal/nonexistent so I gess things are going well.

It's really hard when it comes to this stuff because you can only trust in your dentist but they are all so different. Ours is very nice but seems incredibly conservative with medicine. Like I said he didn't want my parter on the antibiotics or the Tylenol with codeine an he also left medicated packing in the socket for a week without replacing. Overall the care was fine I just wish there was a bit more education before hand.

I feel I did the rght thing asking for antibiotics. We both truly believe it was a minor infection. True he may have fought that off on his own over time but we could have risked further complications too. However I DO NOT like that clindamycin was prescribed. The dentist even asked if it was due to a Cillin allergy, I said no. From what I read clindamycin is highly effective but so effective that it is harmful... It really scares me. I wish we ha known more or that the dr hadn't handed it out like candy.

He has been lucky so far. The first day on it he had stomach pains pretty bad but it could have been any of the meds he was on. That night there was a scare where he said his throat felt tight. I actually called the health line that night but then he told me it had felt that way prior to taking clindamycin... The days following he had no symptoms at all but thanks to you here I had him on probiotics from the start.

I guess one last question... I see all doom an gloom on the Internet about clindamycin but surely there's some success cases? Certainly they're not merely prescribing something like poison for a slight infection? What are the odds that a 23yr old male who took clindamycin 900g daily for 5 days along with centrelle and probiotic yogurt would develop complications from this?

I hate that this was given to us I think omoxicillin could have done the job for something minor (the dentist would have preferred this) but all we can do is move forward, take preventative measures, and know what signs to look for.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote