Old 05-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney sue View Post
Thanks so much for doing this,i really appreciate it. Once again i also
want to thank others who were trying to help.
Can someone please explain what is a router in very simple words??
Very Very simple words What, how,and how they would benifit my laptop.
Sue
I wanna try!

Shiney, a router is used to send a wireless signal so that you can use your laptop around the house without having to plug it into a wired connection to the internet. The router serves as a sort of radio station that only "plays" your internet connection. Your laptop needs a wireless card inside it to work as a radio that can "tune in" to the router's signal.

The wireless card is a little smaller than a credit card and many laptops already come with an installed one.

SilverLady, before you spend any money on internet classes, the easiest way to learn is to jump in and try things. Just click around and see what you get. Many computer stores offer 1- or 2-session beginner classes for a very low cost and these classes can often lead to an adequate understanding. Further, if you want to learn a certain kind of software, such as Photoshop or a music composing software, most computer stores offer these types of classes as well.

I almost forgot, depending on your area, many community centers and high school extensions offer novice computer training for free. Check your community's little newspaper thingy. (Yes, that's a technical term I don't expect you to recognize).

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote