View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 02:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo63 View Post
My daughter is 14 and is in excruciating pain daily from occipital neuralgia. She had it once over a year ago and the nerve block helped but when they tried it last month twice, she felt no relief (not even numbness from the lidocaine) She has also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Cymbalta didn't seem to help so we took her off that. She is on amytriptyline and just started gabapentin. She has missed weeks of school. I am desperate to help her without the use of surgery. Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Neuralgia can be very difficult to treat. Treatment generally consists of antidepressants, antispasmodics, or muscle relaxants - or a combination of these, often with narcotics used to treat breakthrough pain. There are many such medications, and it is often a matter of trying one at a time to see what works. It can be a very laborious process to find what works, but your daughter is likely to find some relief.

If you are not currently seeing a pain physician, I recommend you finding one, particularly one in a pain clinic setting, and preferably one connected to a major teaching hospital.

Since fibromyalgia has been diagnosed, it is reasonable to try Lyrica (similar to gababentin, but oftentimes one med works when the other fails). Don't give up hope - there is help out there!
JVerive is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote