Thread: Hello:)
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 04:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Ahren,
Welcome to the forum! I understand exactly what you are going through. I've had epilepsy for 42 yrs. along with 2 surgeries to help reduce my seizures (sz.) When I went through my change my sz. decreased but sometimes they can increase for a person. All of this is hormone related progesterone helps calm the nerves down and estrogen causes more excitement in the nerves which in turn can cause a sz. for a person. When a woman is going through her change the progesterone level drops and the estrogen level increases. I found eating almonds or lightly salted nuts helped reduce my sz. very well.
Vitamin B12 helps calm the nerves down and it can often reduce or stop sz. for many people since I started taking it every day it has done wonders reducing my sz.
When I took keppra it made me very moody and hot tempered it also increased my sz. so I went off the drug and went on vimpat and that did wonders for me.
Is there any big hospitals or university hospitals near you? This is where you can find Epileptologist and take my word you will be better off seeing an Epileptologist because they can find the cause of the sz. and give you the correct med with no problems. I've seen many different neurologist over the yrs. and an Epileptologist did much more for me and was a great help controlling my sz.
Start keeping track of your sz. write down what time they happen on a calendar along with a description of the sz. by doing this the Dr. may see a pattern in your sz. they may see them happen at certain times of the day/night or certain days of the month.
To see an Epileptologist have your family Dr. refer you to one or you can call the Epilepsy Foundation of America at 1-800-332-1000 and they can tell you where to find one in your area. Here's wishing you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Ahrens05 (04-25-2014)