View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 06:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was actually talking about this last night. Brainline.org has a video about how the most devastating consequence of brain injury is loneliness from loss of relationships. The video talks about how as an adult, your co workers, etc are in close contact for the first few weeks. But as time goes on, they realize you are off work "doing nothing" in their eyes, and the conversations you had with friends multiple times a day, drop off as co workers basically forget about you.

I think this would be true with kids too, especially in today's tech driven world. I personally can't stand talking on the phone. Most of my interaction is via facebook, texting etc. However, due to vision issues, I have to really limit how much time I spend in front of screens, so that's limiting too. And many kids go from being involved in a lot of activities, sports, band, etc to not be able to be involved at all.

My heart breaks for them. I know how isolating this is as an adult. I can't imagine having all the insecurities of growing up AND having a brain injury on top of it.
What Happened: On 3/8/11 I was stopped waiting to merge into traffic when I was rear ended by someone doing 45 mph. I walked away from the accident, to fall into the pit of PCS 5 days later... (I have had 2 previous concussions, but neither developed into PCS.)

Symptoms 3 Years Post: Physical: migraines, infrequent vertigo, neck and back pain (from accident), tinnitus, visual field deficits in left eye, problematic light sensitivity, (including visual seizure activity), noise sensitivity, EXTREME fatigue, semi-frequent disrupted sleep cycles,
Cognitive: semi-frequent Brain fog after cognitive strain, limited bouts of impulsivity, unable to concentrate for more than short periods of time without fatigue, word finding problems, slowed processing speeds, impaired visual memory;
Emotional: easily overstimulated, depression, anxiety;

Treatment so far: Vestibular therapy; Physical Therapy; Vision Therapy; Vitamin Schedule; Limited caffeine; Medications; attempting to limit stress and overstimulation; Yoga; Cognitive Therapy
SmilinEyesMs305 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (04-26-2014), Mokey (04-24-2014)