Thread: Weird Question
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 11:34 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I tracked my PCS for about 5 years and suddenly one day realized that MOST of my problems were caused by the weather. (Thanks, Weather Underground Archives) I lived in Northern WI, and got to where I simply could not go on anymore. I would get head pressure, fatigue, nausea, phonophobia, chills, insomnia, dizziness, almost all the time from the continuous weather fronts that moved through.

When I finally realized this a few years ago, I packed up my family and moved to Central Washington (dry side). By doing this, I got rid of about 75% of my issues. In the winter, we go to Yuma AZ for a few months, and there I get rid of about 90% of my issues. It has changed our lives in amazing ways. This past winter I had two head episodes - both when we got some rain in the desert.

Barometric change, Humidity change, and Temperature change all affect me, but in my years of study and observation have noticed a few interesting things:

Pressure Change - We have mountains in WA, and rapid pressure change from going over a pass in not an issue, nor is flying on an airplane. I found that it is the gradual rise or fall in pressure that is the culprit. My threshhold is about 0.2 inches Hg change in a day. Any change greater than this will cause issues. But, a more rapid change like driving over a pass (several inches Hg change in 1/2 hour) is just fine. It seems that the "pressure sensor" is not as sensitive as it ought to be and these gradual pressure changes over the course of a day allow the pressure to build, and then the trigger for the migraine is tripped. Once it is tripped, I will be sick for a few days. I have been able to "evade" a pressure change on a few occasions by going over the pass, and "recalibrating". It helps for a few hours, but if the pressure is still changing, I need to go up again. (Fortunately, I live just 5 miles from a pass.) I have also taken up hiking (gradually built up to that over years) and the daily pressure change from altitude seems to make me a little more immune to weather pressure changes. It also makes me more immune to bumps, as the exercise and hiking poles strengthens the neck and shoulders.

- Humidity change - Now that I have lived a dry climate, I have really noticed that humidity change is bad though I am not sure how or why. Sometimes we get wet weather with very little pressure change, and I get sick. I have wondered if living on the coast might be a little better than the desert as the humidity from the ocean would be more constant, and not going from 10% to 100% when it rains. (But I just could not live in Seattle since I am solar powered.)

- Temperature Change - Warmer is better, and a temperature change from 80s to 60s will cause problems. I have an allergy to Cold anyway, so anything below 75 means I need to bundle up especially my neck (and I was from WI?). I have thought of moving to AZ, where pressure is definitely more steady, but am not sure what the 110*-120* in the summer would do to me.

In conclusion, a place like San Diego or Hawaii (least pressure change in US) would probably be best for my head, but not best for our family or finances right now. Health is a big deal, but there are so many other facets to life. If I can get these health problems into the background, and enjoy a few other things like family and friends close by, and a vibrant church life, I am content.
Everwilde is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote