View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

nyuszisie,

So the oral surgeon acknowledged that the site should be surgically debrided? If so, then he suspects that there is a problem there. Otherwise, he would not have agreed to doing that. If the surgeon feels that he was thorough during the extraction and feels the post op x-ray shows proper healing then he would not want to go in and do the debridement.

Regarding the sample of tissue for pathology.... it is not a question of seeing something suspicious in the socket. The bacteria that could be a problem may be microscopic. It makes perfect sense for you to know what bacteria is lurking in there and what antibiotic will take care of it.

Don't be hesitant to tell him you want him to send specimens of the tissue and bone that he removes during the debridement to the lab for diagnosis of the bacteria and a sensitivity culture done to determine what antibiotics are best suited for it. Tell him to have the lab bill you directly. Your insurance may or may not cover it. I believe based on my professional experience that this test can be extremely helpful. But it is up to you if want to do it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuszisue View Post
The OS didn't check for sinus communication, never even mentioned anything about that being a possibility, and like I wrote before I'm very frustrated and angry because he didn't cleaned the extraction site, and I'm afraid that is why I still have this on and off pain and the puffiness. I'm not having any other dental work done for right now, I will have to go back to this same OS to have the site re opened and cleaned. I asked him if he is going to send anything to pathology, he said yes if there is something suspicious, and I of course mentioned the antibiotic allergy, he didn't quite answer me.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote