View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v5118lKftfk View Post
I have been wondering if there is a danger that actively participating in a health forum over time can actually skew one's perception of how dire the situation could be for a prognosis.
I think it's less likely over time than it is in the short run, for exactly the reasons you state. This is a self-help peer support group. People are here because they need/want support. Lurkers/onesies may get skewed perceptions, but longtimers—for the most part—know the score, and are here because they need/want to be.

Some first-timers come in, ask a question or twenty, and then bail, either because they get the answer(s) they want, or because they don't get the answer(s) they want, because they can't handle things, or it's just not for them/what they need. That's cool.

For long-timers, it's (apparently) exactly what they/we need/want.

There's no rule/law that one has to read every thread/post, much less every forum.

I also participate in the Spinal forum. Many people come there who are afraid of impending surgery due to the "horror stories" they read online. I often point out exactly what you say—people who have bad experiences tend to post to groups like this, partly out of the frustration of no-one else listening. People whose surgery is successful are out getting on with their lives—they have no need of support, hence no need for forums like this,and no need to tell the world. So yes, perceptions can be skewed. I think acknowledging that fact is important to newcomers; it bestows/sheds light/hope.

I think the same can be said for most of these groups. Some stay for continued sharing (paying it forward) some stay for the fellowship/camaraderie, and some stay for the pie. That's cool too.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
en bloc (04-27-2014), glenntaj (04-28-2014), jenng (04-27-2014), Kitt (04-27-2014), mrsD (04-27-2014), St George 2013 (05-06-2014), Susanne C. (04-27-2014), v5118lKftfk (04-27-2014), yupings (04-27-2014)