Thread: Surgeries
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 09:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaRose View Post
I have to chose the right procedure for me. There is no medicine working anymore. I wondered who has had Percutaneous Rhizotomy (Burn).Microvascular Decompression (pillow or Shim) Focused Radiation (gamma Knife) Because I'd like to know who has had any of these and how they worked.Thank You
This is my first post so forgive me if it isn't right [/FONT]
I have had three surgeries. I had a radio frequency Rhizotomy first. It gave me pain relief for around 4 years. It was a simple procedure to go though but it took me awhile to adjust to being very numb in the face. I felt weird but got used to it and it faded. The procedure threw off my bite, my jaw no longer moves to the right (procedure was on the left). It took awhile to get my teeth ground down so I could chew right. I don't think this is a common problem!

After the pain came back and the medicine got so high again that I couldn't stand the side effects, I had a balloon procedure that didn't really work at all.

I didn't like the idea of the gamma knife because it takes awhile to help and doesn't last that long.

Finally after the failed balloon procedure, I had a Microvascular decompression. I have been totally pain free and medication free since then (about 4-1/2 years). It may be all I will ever need, but if the pain comes back, I would have another.

The MVD typically works the longest and I have read that it is more effective if done before other surgeries. It is harder to go through and has more risks, but if you have typical TN, it is probably the best solution. Of course you need to see what your doctor thinks and get a surgeon who has done a lot of them. It doesn't work for everyone but it worked well for me.
DonnaRose (04-29-2014)