View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 09:07 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Introducing a second cat

It sounds like some of you would be good people to ask about introducing a second cat into one's home.

Confession time: I am a dog person. I love dogs and trained them as a hobby. Sadly, now that I'm disabled, I'm not really capable of providing a dog with the care and exercise it needs and deserves.

When our last dog passed, my child was desperate for a new pet. Hubby wouldn't budge on the dog thing, so we compromised and adopted a cat. A big compromise for me, because I'm allergic - but the things you do for your kid.

Ironically, the cat, a young female, has bonded to me. She plays with the the other family members, but I am the only one whom she follows and cuddles. (All the better to kill me with her dander?
)

My child loves the cat, but finds the relationship not 100% satisfying. She wants a pet that she can dote on, like she did our dog.

Visiting the shelter the other day, she lost her heart to a very cuddly, butt ugly (lol) five year old male love lump. He climbed in her lap and sat there, purring, until we had to leave. The staff said that he's the most affectionate cat they've seen. My child was thrilled and wants desperately to bring him home, but is having trouble convincing her dad. (Me, I'll just go with the flow and start freebasing my antihistamines.)

One of hubby's objections (aka excuses) is his fear that the cats won't get along. So what should I do to introduce the new cat into the house successfully? And, based on your experiences, what are the odds of peaceful cohabitation between an 18 month old, active, confident female (she was a stray, but never in a shelter) who, while overall friendly and well-behaved, still has what I term "feral moments" and the cat described above?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote