View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 11:00 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default I realize this is an old thread

I want to report my own experiences in having and training a dog. I think the disagreement with OneMoreTime was just semantics.

My dog started out as my pet and I thought I would need to get another and go through extensive training and money to do so. In reading more on the needed attributes of a PSD, I realized mine seemed just right, so I spoke with trainers. I was able to do much of the training in between sessions, advancing her progress and saving on the cost . . . considerably.

She is a 16 pound schnoodle, smart, and calm - unless a cat runs in front of her, but she will stop when I say so even under this condition. She is not either aggressive nor passive, nor anxious. She loves people, children, and other animals, living as we do with another dog and three cats. She is very well socialized and very tuned into my moods and behaviours.

She walks extremely well off-leash and on, and is trained in many commands. Sometimes I think she understands English. I am not greatly physically disabled, though I have fibromyalgia which limits the extent of my activities, but long walks are definitely on our daily agenda and she keeps healthy and happy. We both benefit from the walks and the other playtime we share with each other or on "play dates" with other dogs.

She does not need nor particularly like to be confined even in a soft carrier, but I do like the idea of having a carrier for certain activities and in some places. For instance, it makes it much easier and keeps customers happier to confine her when we go grocery shopping. It isn't necessary as she does not cause commotions, and out of the carrier can perform her duties in case I need her help. Sometimes this is needed as I become anxious in lines and crowds, and might resort to aggressive behaviour and she gently can nudge me out of this stress response.

So thank you all for this discussion. Incidentally, she is 8 years old and we embarked on this adventure 2 years ago. I am bipolar and I am satisfied; so are my psychiatrist and my therapist. They report seeing less of my hypo-manic and aggressive states since then.
ibclare is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote