View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey
Hubby wouldn't budge on the dog thing, so we compromised and adopted a cat.
Not sure I get what that means, exactly.

Quote:
Ironically, the cat, a young female, has bonded to me. She plays with the the other family members, but I am the only one whom she follows and cuddles. (All the better to kill me with her dander?
)
I have no idea why cats seem to have this affinity for whoever is most allergic/least cat-lover. I have the same problem (allergic) and guess who's lap they head for first...

Quote:
My child loves the cat, but finds the relationship not 100% satisfying. She wants a pet that she can dote on, like she did our dog.

Visiting the shelter the other day, she lost her heart to a very cuddly, butt ugly (lol) five year old male love lump. He climbed in her lap and sat there, purring, until we had to leave. The staff said that he's the most affectionate cat they've seen. My child was thrilled and wants desperately to bring him home, but is having trouble convincing her dad. (Me, I'll just go with the flow and start freebasing my antihistamines.)
She likely gets her dog-affinity from you. My concern is that the most affectionate dog-like cat in the world still isn't a dog, and can't be made to behave/think like one. Some kids can understand this; others can't. Likewise, the most docile dog-like cat in the world still can't/won't tolerate the (kind of) doting that dogs will. Not trying to be negative—just pragmatic. There may not be a cat that can satisfy that need/relationship.

Quote:
One of hubby's objections (aka excuses) is his fear that the cats won't get along.
While dogs are pack-oriented & social, cats—as a rule—are solitary & territorial by nature. While there are exceptions, in all likelihood, they will choose their turf in the house (in 2-story houses, it's not uncommon for each to choose a floor) and seldom/rarely get chummy.

OTOH, there are a very few cats who just don't/won't adapt, despite doing everything correctly (this may be your husband's reservation) and this can be problematical.

My personal experiences have been bringing in multiple cats—as kittens—at the same time, so I'll defer to others on this kind of introduction.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote