View Single Post
Old 09-22-2006, 02:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile New forum, so time for the obligatory post

Hi all,

As far as I'm aware, I've made a post similar to this each time the forum has been moved (e.g. CN -> CN2)...so this is in no way meant as either an attention-seeking post or an affirmation seeking one.

As some of you know, I'm a young person (although as I'm in my late 20s I'm not sure how much longer I'll be saying that) with generalised dystonia, a PEG tube and vision problems. I'm also a wheelchair user. There aren't very many people with this combination of issues (as it tends to be the childhood-onset form of dystonia which is severe, and that's also the rarest type).

When I first joined CN it was partially because I was at the upper end of the 'child' age bracket, and needing information on coping strategies/equipment, and partly so that I could share some of my experiences with any parents who found it helpful. Whilst I do still have the odd question related to whether anyone's tried certain equipment, those questions are few and far between now - I'm more here to share my experiences where they are wanted (e.g. what does having a g-tube button changed feel like?). I've also gained (a little) knowledge of comparisons between the US and the UK in terms of different words meaning the same thing, which can help if people can't find an appropriate picture.

Also, as some of you know, I'm training to become an OT - which is a different pool of knowledge again (although I have to say that most of the neuro intervention we've been taught I already knew about - just didn't have the right words ).

So, any strong feelings about me continuing to post here?
Take care,
Swift
swift is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote