View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 11:42 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGBREC View Post
Doc,

Thanks for the link! I actually did read that one today, and I saw that you were kind of skeptical of whether it exists. Leaky gut is very very very real! There are plenty of studies that corroborate it.
Perhaps you misread/misconstrued me. "Leaky gut" is not the same as "Leaky Gut Syndrome".

Quote:
Note: Some medical scientists use the term "leaky gut" for problems associated with abnormal intestinal permeabilty, but "leaky gut syndrome" is not one of them.
http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...opics/fad.html
I would be very interested in taking a look at any credible studies relating to "Leaky Gut Syndrome". I just checked PubMed and Goggle Scholar again, and still find nothing related to that term.

The reason I urge caution is the abundance of charlatans/quacks who use that term to sell sick suffering people worthless nostrums/remedies/treatments. I've been down that road, and was taken in myself out of naïvety and desperation (the bargaining stage of Kübler-Ross).

Quote:
This theory is vague and largely unproven, and there is no evidence that the remedies marketed for treating leaky gut bring the benefits they claim.
There is some concern that the promotion of the contentious "leaky gut syndrome" diagnosis is a dishonest ploy designed to make money from the sale of supposed remedies for it.
Leaky gut syndrome is not a recognized medical diagnosis, but a proposed condition that is claimed to be the root cause of many ailments, including chronic fatigue syndrome and multiple sclerosis.[2] According to the UK National Health Service,
There is little evidence to support this theory, and no evidence that so-called 'treatments' for 'leaky gut syndrome', such as nutritional supplements and a gluten-free diet, have any beneficial effect for most of the conditions they are claimed to help.
Some skeptics and scientists say that the marketing of treatments for leaky gut syndrome is either misguided or an instance of deliberate health fraud.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaky_gut_syndrome
Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote