View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Hit the nail on the head

Hi Doctor Smith,

Yes, I agree 100% that what my child really wants (and needs) is a dog. It's not that my child is an animal mauler. She is mature and respectful of animals. She just needs something that wants her love.

I fear a cat, no matter how dog-like, will not be able to fill the void left by the loss of our dear Retriever. To expect that from a cat is, frankly, unrealistic and unfair. The child and the dog had such a special bond, that even another canine might struggle to fit the bill.

Sadly, my husband will not agree to getting another dog. After I became disabled in an MVA, he discovered that dogs don't walk themselves. lol He simply doesn't want to be "burdened" by any creature that requires ANY effort on his part. I proposed breeds with very minimal exercise/training needs, but, no dice. He remained unmovable, even in the face of our daughter's profound grief at the loss of her dog.

The child does need pets. I'm a TBI patient, prone to outbursts of temper. The dog was playing a very important role in helping her cope with the inevitable stress in our household. Dogs will sense mood and sit, forever, and listen to your troubles with empathetic eyes. I'd take a poodle over Prozac, any day.

The addition of the first cat to the house has helped things. However, she is not a major cuddler. The male were looking at does love to be stroked. That calming physical contact would be valuable to my child. The homeless cat will get a loving home, where he will be treated like a king.

To my shock, hubby has agreed to go to the shelter to meet the cat. That's a long way from agreeing to adopt him, but it's a lot more cooperation than I expected.

Last edited by Hockey; 05-01-2014 at 10:44 AM. Reason: typo
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote