View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 03:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

- Identify your triggers. If you don't know what makes you go off you won't be able to be proactive. My biggest trigger for my migraines (setting aside any concussion issues) is stress. Followed by allergies. Food never has been much of a trigger for me, thank God. But knowing this allows me to try to stay a step ahead of my pain.

- Find the appropriate medications. I have been on so many different preventative meds and pain meds. I'm now on 125 mgs of Topomax, which I'm fairly happy with, and Imitrex for pain, which does an okay job but my insurance pays for 9 tabs for a $10 copay so I'm staying put for now. Oh and I'm also back on amitriptylan, but that's TBI-related.

- Find a pillow you like. I have spent so much freaking money trying to replace my favorite pillow that's getting flat but I can't find anything I like as well so I'm still using it as my primary pillow, as well as my headache pillow. When this one finally gets too flat I'm going to be devastated.

- Get a pet. Obviously that's a tough one, depending on allergies and other people to worry about. But I have 3 cats and they all know when I'm upset and come to cuddle.

- When in doubt get thee to a dark room ASAP and sleep it off and don't worry about what others say.

That's all I can think of right now. I've had migraines for half my life and these are the first recommendations that come to mind.
Socks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon062314 (05-01-2014), Living_Dazed (05-01-2014)