View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Acknowledging/recognizing legitimate special (i.e. of, or relating to, a species) differences is not "dis"sing.

Alexicat,

I was careful to use the terms "by nature" and "as a rule", and to acknowledge there are exceptions. I've had both cats & dogs (as well as several exotics), and can acknowledge and appreciate the differences.

If there's disagreement, it's not with anyone here. From 2 cat websites:
Quote:
Cats can be solitary; they can also thrive on friendship. In contrast dogs are pack animals and nearly always need company whether canine or human.

Cats are normally solitary hunters. One cat that is an exception is the lion which sometimes hunts in groups called prides.

Quote:
Cats are indeed a solitary species. But they can and do live in groups. This seems confusing to us because we are social animals and have a difficult time understanding and accepting a different social structure. Our other companion pet, the dog, is also a social or pack animal. He fits right in with our way of thinking and living. The cat does not.
Cats can live in groups but they don't need to. For social/pack animals such as humans and dogs, living and functioning as a group is a necessity.

and

I think that last statement illustrates/sums it up best.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (05-02-2014)