View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 08:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default How safe is IVIG?

I asked all my dr to list the safety of all MG treatments and they all had vastly diff answers. Some though imuran was safer than Methotrextae and vise versa. They all thought long term pred was a bad idea -- wish I had know that a year ago.

IVIG was the only one that all dr unanimously agreed on. But when I look at the data ab serious adverse events it seems rather significant.

I'm ok w flu etc but not at all ok w kidney failure, stroke, shock etc. The allergy Immunology excerpt below says that 44% had SERIOUS adverse reaction.

I'm all set for my infusion but I'm seriously concerned ab these numbers. I already know my MG devil. I don't want another problem on top of what's already going on.

Anyone have an opinion? I'm super scared

The administration of IVIG is a complex undertaking . In many cases patients with PI are
chronically ill further complicating therapy. Furthermore, a majority of patients will experience some adverse event (AE) in the course of their therapy. There are also numerous severe IVIG-associated AEs many of which are acute and include thromboembolism, hypotension, seizures, aseptic meningitis syndrome, anaphylaxis, acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), pulmonary edema, apnea and transfusion associated lung injury (TRALI). All IGIV products also include a black box warning regarding acute renal failure. The Immune Deficiency Foundation (IDF), which is the major patent
regarding AEs in their 2002 survey of 1170 patients with PI . They found that 61% of patients have infusion rate related AEs and 44% have had serious AEs. For these reasons it is critical to select patients who are appropriate for specific sites of care. In general a patients history of AEs is directly proportional to the medical supervision required. Thus the choice of site of care must account for the patients medical and IVIG history. For these reasons the AAAAI has generated a guideline to facilitate matching particular patients to specific sites of care (provided as Appendix 5).
oriented advocacy non-profit organization for those affected by PI has ascertained real world data 7
Needananswer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote