View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 09:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadoc View Post
Before I answer this question, I'm going to do a little research. There is plenty of information available on the internet these days. The problem is the quality of the info. In order to justify a recommendation, people sometimes quote studies that were either improperly powered to make specific conclusions because of sample size, were not randomized, had selection bias, etc...... Sometimes there aren't any properly constructed studies to answer a specific medical question and one has to rely on the best available evidence. I know little about HBOT and PCS recovery but will venture to see what quality evidence there is to justify such a cost. Stay tuned.

Canadoc
I had to answer your question over 2 blogs due to time pressures. Just a few comments on the other issues. I don't believe having a NATURALLY low cholesterol is of relevance regarding your potential for neurological healing. In other ways, this may well prove to be a significant advantage with regards to reducing your lifetime risk of manifesting symptoms of dementia later in life. I would trade cholesterol profiles with you in a flash!

Vitamin B12 is very important to maintain a healthy neurological system. Those who are deficient benefit from supplementation. Few would argue this point. There are differences in opinion as to what constitutes the ideal blood level. Your laboratory report would have the acceptable reference range. Does correcting a state of B12 deficiency accelerate healing after an mTBI or in an individual with PCS? Who knows! I have not been able to find any convincing evidence to that effect. It does make sense however to correct a deficient B12 state in order to avoid the other well documented neurological and hematological problems associated with low blood levels. I have equally not come across any evidence to suggest that supplementing a B12 SUFFICIENT individual provides healing benefits. Again, I would invite anyone with evidence to the contrary to share their insights and knowledge.

Just a final note on your low vitamin D levels. If you live in an area of the USA where sunshine hours were at a premium over the past 5 months or if you spend most of your waking hours indoors (or both), your vitamin D levels would have naturally fallen (unless you were taken supplements). You may wish to discuss with your doctor about remeasuring your levels during the summer. You might also want to inform yourself about supplementing with vitamin D during the colder months of the year as a rule.

Hope this info has helped. I wish to remind you that the above information is my own opinion and, ultimately, you should review any medical decisions with your personal physician. Cheers. Canadoc
Canadoc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mokey (05-21-2014), nimrod4u (05-09-2014)