View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 10:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have been using IVIG for about 9 years and while I haven't had any significant issues, there are precautions you can take to alleviate some of the side affects. First of all, have the nurses start you at a slow rate (which they probably would anyway) and ramp it up very slowly. I discovered that when I got to 225, I started getting headaches and flu like symptoms. I had it lowered to 175 and all the side affects went away - I have gradually increased to 200 with no return side affects, but I think I'll stay here. Having said that, 50 may be where you start and 100 as high as you want to go. it's unique for each individual.

Also, most people pre-treat with Tylenol and/or benedryl to prevent any side affects before you start and drink lots of fluid to hydrate before you start the IVIG.

There are some people on this site who have had problems with IVIG, but far more with few or no side affects.

For me, the benefits are great and have been since my first treatment in 2005. I don't know where I would be without it and I will always encourage a person with MG to at least try a round of IVIG to see how they react.

Good luck on whichever decision you make!

Juanita
Juanitad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote