View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 10:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Your post really and truly brought tears to my eyes.

I left management consulting and pursued my phd and teaching career in order to have a career to feel more engaged and more fulfilled. The students were so wonderful and there were so many interesting and kind people I met and learned from along the way.

I also talked to the accommodations people at the university today. She couldn't come up with anything other than a tool (i.e. an iPad or an audiobook). I told her I would ask my doctor at Berkeley for her suggestions. I suspect I am also where you are.

There is no mourning period more painful than the one you are entering. It is not one entered by choice.

I'm so sorry- It's one of those brutal transition periods. I've heard of post-traumatic growth--but it somehow seems to undermine the pain of having to move from a place that has given you so much joy.

The only solace I have found is in the hugs of my family. Simple and profound. Your husband sounds like such a soul.

Do mourn. Do be angry. Do take pride in the many of children you did get to reach along the way. Do know that there will be a tomorrow. Until then,
do be kind to yourself.

Post-event: Diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome, ptsd, whiplash, peripheral and central vestibular dysfunction and convergence insufficiency. MRI/CT scans fine.

Symptoms: daily headaches, dizziness/vertigo, nausea, cognitive fog, light/noise sensitivities, anxiety/irritability, fatigued, convergence insufficiency, tinnitus and numbness in arms/legs.

Therapies: Now topamax 50mg daily; Propanolol and Tramadol when migraine. Off nortryptiline and trazodone. Accupuncture. Vitamin regime. Prism glasses/vision therapy. Vestibular therapy 3month. Gluten free diet. Dairy free diet. On sick leave from teaching until Sept. 2014.
berkeleybrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (05-09-2014), Living_Dazed (05-07-2014)