Thread: TOS or CTS?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default TOS or CTS?

Not sure when it really started, but we'll say beginning of this year, I started getting tingling in my right hand and arm, up to about mid-tricep. I suspected my shoulder as this seemed to be related to the position of my arm, and would go away by moving my arm around. Mainly while sitting at the computer, which I spend a lot of time doing, but also other things like standing with my hands in my pants pockets. After a few months, it started getting worse, so I went to see a chiropractor who suspected a rib issue and treated for that for maybe a month. At that point, he said since I hadn't shown any improvement, I should go see a md to make sure something else wasn't wrong. A day or two later, I realized I had been sleeping on my right side, but laying over some causing my shoulder to be sort of folded under me. I decided to try sleeping on my back to see if that helped before calling an md. No change for a couple weeks, then one Monday my arm was "off". It just seemed to be in a fog, like I could almost just barely reach something, but not quite. Setup an appt with md, who prescribed medrol dose pack (which was no help) and sent me to orthopedic. Ortho took about a dozen xrays of arm/shoulder/neck, says they all look ok and he suspected carpal tunnel, gave me a wrist brace to wear at night (which was no help) and sent me to neurologist for emg/ncs. The ncs showed mild carpal tunnel syndrome. Orthopedic wanted to give me a cortizone shot which I was hesitant about, so he gave me an rx for dicoflenac (which I havent filled yet) and a followup in a month. The physical tests he did - bending my wrist, tapping my palm, etc, did not cause my symptoms to appear. He also didn't sound very convincing when he said it was carpal tunnel. I've never had symptoms at night, but I sleep pretty hard.

I'm concerned that I may have minor carpal tunnel per the NCS which isn't bothering me, but also have something else going on - like TOS, which is the cause of my symptoms. My right shoulder is rounded, head forward posture, I have a cervical rib (not sure to what extent) and the muscles around my neck/shoulder/etc are very tight (extra stressful year). I've been a heavy computer user for 20+ years. From what I've been reading, this almost sounds like a recipe for TOS. 40yo male, 5'11" 185lb, no trauma - so I don't hit all of the causes.

Any links to info/tests that might help me sort this out?

From what I've read, if this is TOS, it sounds like the dicoflenac may help with symptoms (pain/etc) but isn't going to be a solution. Does that sound right?

Thanks
bwsnhp is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote