View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 04:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Nickel free diet guidelines by lutheraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelet View Post
Well, I have the "eczema" like rash around my eyes, sometimes around my mouth (both things people have posted about) plus the dishydrotic eczema on my hands, and a rash on my neck and arms I am going to get a patch test from the dermatologist in July. I took my earrings out today after discovering this thread. I miss them by the way. I have also been told by my chiropractor (who does acupuncture and muscle testing) that I have sensitivity to corn and gluten. An herbalist I have been seeing confirmed this, and also told me that I should avoid rice and basically all grains. My condition has thoroughly ruined my life and self-esteem. I was on a diet of mainly vegetables, meat, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, and mozarella sticks for a month, and before that I was gluten free for around two months. The rash never went away, I had good days and bad days as always. Now I'm wondering if I could have nickel allergy, since my symptoms are so similar to many people posting on here. I don't want to wait until the week of July 12th (patch test week) to change my habits. I would like to try the low nickel diet now. Like many of you, I have looked it up and sites are contradicting each other constantly about levels of nickel in foods. Can one of you experienced with this allergy give me some basic food guidelines that have shown results for you?As for contact nickel, I have not worn make up or jewelry since the rash showed up, and I mostly stay in pajamas because I am home all the time. I will worry about that stuff when I feel better. However, cooking utensils? I have always been told to use the metal ones to avoid toxins in the coatings of the other ones, so I am confused as to what I can use
Reply by lutheraner:
Avoid all canned foods as the metal in the can contains Nickel. Starkist chunk light Tuna comes in a mylar pouch - No metal! UPC code
0 8000049524 2. Wild Planet sells sardines in an aluminum container with a BPA free lining which is the only thing that touches the sardines. You cannot eat regular greens but most can tolerate baby greens if they are organic. Try Trader Joes organic Power to the Greens - UPC code 00980883. Nuts are high Nickel except Walnuts and pine nuts and thus to be avoided. Note most pesticides contain Nickel. So Alway go for the organic foods. You can eat grits for breakfast. But organic Blue corn Grits are much healthier than the other kind if you can tolerate them. All organic grits should be low in Nickel. Add cinnamon, liquid Stevia, 1 teaspoon of Agave Nectar and 1/2 teaspoon of organic coconut fat to your breakfast grits. This cinnamon, low sugar and good fat will turn grits into a healthy low glycemic food. Never microwave fats as this turns the fat into a trans saturated unhealthy fat. Add the fat last after you have cooked the food. Lunch is organic yogurt with organic fruit. e.g. banana blueberry or blackberry. I add a tablespoon full of organic Lecithin (fat) to help make my banana blueberry yogurt dish low glycemic. Rasberries are high in Nickel and I cannot tolerate strawberries which are supposed to be low in Nickel. Dinner is vegetables and meat (preferably omega 3 fish). Scallops, Haddock, swordfish, shrimp, crab and sardines are low glycemic. But I can tolerate salmon which is allegedly not low glycemic. Vegetables: beets, red potato squash, brussel sprouts and possible 1 small carrot or 3 brussel sprouts if you can tolerate the later two. If you get a mild rash add 1/2 of a zinc vitamin pill or 1 teaspoon of liquid iron before you eat. I like Gaia Plant Force liquid Iron. Organic kefir will help with digestion. Most people can tolerate white rice and pasta. Buy your tomato paste in glass jars. Safe fruits are peach, pear, watermellon, apricots, grapefruit, oranges and possibly organic apples, other melons and pineapple. Safe Vegetables are cabbage, cauliflower, brocolli, radish,baby spinach (organic), yams, frozen peas and possibly onions. Rye flatbread from Germany is the only low Nickel bread that is whole grain. Most people can tolerate white flour flatbread but I cannot. Corn tortillas and cassava are tolerated by most. Beware of fillers like yeast and seeds when experimenting with bread. I do not know the Nickel content of Quinoa, amaranth, flax or chia but all are healthy foods IF they can be tolerated in small amounts. Steam your food in a stainless steel free container and do not eat with stainless steel silverware. They contain Nickel!! I use a BPA free steamer from Aroma. Water from old galvanized pipes also emits Nickel. So buy a water purifier that takes out heavy metals including Nickel. Mine is an expensive one from Tyent. I buy green tea from Nilgiri India which has the lowest Nickel soil in the world. Upton tea sells this in America in either Black Nilgiri tea or green Nilgiri tea. Other teas are all suspect as tea is very high in Nickel as are cocoa and chocolate - which must be avoided. Safe spices are: black pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, garlic and rosemary. Although some can tolerate almost any spice in small amounts if they are organic.
lutheraner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote