Thread: CT results
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 10:34 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had the full "split your chest open" (sounds gross doesn't it - but I can never remember the correct name!) to remove my thymus in 2005. I had a malignant tumor and was glad I had it done that way. It wasn't any fun, but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever gone through either. My mg affects my breathing quite a bit so I was in ICU for about 4 days after surgery and in a regular room for a couple more days. I was out of work for 8 weeks, but probably could have gone back at 6 if I hadn't been going through radiation. Didn't have to have chemo because they got clean margins when they removed the thymus which is the greatest benefit of having the full surgery, especially when you have a tumor!

I used pain meds for about 2 weeks, but was fine after that. The hardest thing was raising up from a lying position because until the bones knit completely, they kinda rubbed on each other. Again, nothing I couldn't handle, just a different feeling.

When you talk to surgeon, I advise asking a lot of questions. My surgeon was mainly a heart surgeon and I don't think he had ever removed a thymus. However, he did a good job and I am fine today. I never did go into remission, but at my age (55 at time of surgery), I didn't really expect to. My understanding is that the younger you are when you have the surgery, the better chance of remission. However, I was in a fast downward slide with the mg when I had the surgery, and I am doing much better today, 9 years later.

Good luck with your decision.

Juanita
Juanitad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote