View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 07:49 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Question Lumbar Spine MRI Results

Hi all, this is my very first posting on this forum and hope you can help me determine what my MRI results mean. I have an appointment to see my GP on Monday however I'm trying gain some idea on just how serious my condition is.

Im 52 years of age and have been suffering from lower back, hip and legs pain for some time now with the pain becoming more severe in the past month or so. At first I thought it may have been sciatic pain but judging from this report it seems i was incorrect.

Here goes:

Information: Right lower back/radiating radicular pain to the thigh and lower legs. ? L5/S1 disc pathology or facet.

Findings: There is a transitional level which has S1 morphology with residual S1/2 disc. The lumbar spine has quite straight alignment. Disc heights are preserved. Vertebral body morphology is normal. THe conus, cauda equina and spinal canal are normal.

The discs down to and including L3/4 show normal hydration and intact periphery. The facet joints are normal.

At L4/5 the disc shows mild dehydration. There is only slight concentric laxity with no significant bulge or protrusion. There is small sub annular fissure in the left far lateral region, which does not appear of any consequence. Neural structures are all clear. Facet joint changes are minimal.

At L5/S1 the disc shows dehydration and a mild concentric bulge. The main feature here is advanced facet arthritis bilaterally. The L5 nerves exit freely and the S1 nerves are not compressed. The facet arthritis is severe and symmetric, and on both sides is associated with a couple of small ganglia at the outer joint margin greater on the right side and extruding posteromedially.

The sacrum and sacroiliac joints look normal.

Comment: Mild disk dehydration and slight concentric bulging L5/S1 facet arthritis, worse on the right side, including a number of outer lip ganglia. CT guided facet joint injection appears indicated. Both these joints are narrowed and the right side even has early bridging osteophytes.

That's it. Doesn't sound too good does it?

Does anyone have any idea of what this means and how it's going to impact upon my health and if so is there anything to correct or to lessen my pain issues?

I appreciate any feedback and thank you in advance.
possum62 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote