View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 11:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
What if I am crazy and this is all in my head or not crazy but they think I am becuase I the guinea pig didn't do the right tricks while being studied in the lab. What if I have a type that requires meds that make my teeth fall out or hair grow all over my face. What if they take my license away again...

So as you can see I have manged to talk/think myself in circles many many circles.....
LCat is offline Add Infraction for LCat Report Post Thanks
LCat,

First off, I'm sorry for anyone who has to go through this and want you to know that you're in the right place when it comes to getting help from people who understand.

I'm sure most of us would be kidding ourselves if we haven't thought we were crazy before. I had a very bad seizure once that I was awake for most of it, and it was the worst experience of my life. Bad enough that I freaked out and called my Grandmother to tell her how awful God was if he existed (had a small meltdown). After time passed, I thought maybe it was a dream or it didn't happen, etc. I do this a lot, even on witnessed seizures.

When it comes to medications there typically aren't specific medications set up to match specific seizure types. It normally depends on the frequency, severity and things of the like. You do have a say in things, too. Never forget that. If your doctor were to suggest, for example: Depakote. It is known to cause hair loss and/or weight gain. You could ask if you had any other medication options. Then compare the pros and cons of each type and make a decision with your doctor. You also need to keep in mind that while some may cause appearance disturbances, others aren't very kind to your inner organs. You should be certain to get all information regarding side effects of each medication including LONG TERM side effects.

If you do get prescribed something that is more commonly known to cause tooth problems, ask your dentist or your doctor how you could help protect your teeth better. We also have a forum here for dental related issues with some members working in the dental field so they should be able to assist you, as well.

Regarding the drivers license, it's something none of us want to let go. But it is a situation we have to trust our health care providers to make the best decision for our safety and the safety of those around us. I'm aware I can have a seizure at any time, but since I have auras I can use my best judgment and I will never leave home unless I'm well rested, well fed, and have not had so much as a small headache for at least a week. I don't think any of us could live with ourselves if we were to hurt someone else while driving because we wanted to keep a hold of our independence. It's very, very hard to let go of your driving privileges (or maybe it was just for me, haha). But I had a few people point out that I could hurt myself, someone else, or in the worst case scenario - kill someone. So I had to just suck up my pride a little and try my best to follow my doctors orders until my seizures were better controlled.

Once I did that, I was able to get some driving priv's which is better than nothing.

Keep your head up! You're not crazy. This is completely natural to feel this way. Anyway, I'm babbling but just wanted you to know you're not alone here.

Ellie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote