View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 07:16 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

If you haven't had one yet, your doctor will probably send you for a neuro-psych exam. That's a serious of tasks (memory, pattern recognition, motor skills, sometime IQ, etc...) to see how your injury is playing out in your daily functioning. This will help them identify your deficits and target your therapy accordingly.

Unlike a lot of the TBI folks here, I don't have convergence issues, so didn't need a lot of visual therapy. I needed a lot of occupational therapy and rehab to relearn basic tasks, like doing up buttons, holding utensils, etc... I did neuroplasticity exercises to regain some ability to distinguish between hot and cold, etc... (Yeah, I'm really messed up. )

On the cognitive side, I spent a lot of time working through the various stages of Attention Processing Training (APT). Among other things, it really helped me to learn to focus on the task at hand. I have parietel lobe damage, which makes it impossible to filter sounds - very distracting. I also needed a lot of help with auditory issues, like coping with the blasted ringing.

I benefited a great deal from cognitive therapy. It was really hard work, especially in the beginning. I'd work at it for a few minutes and be in bed the rest of the day.

It was also hard not to get discouraged when I discovered how much I'd lost. I couldn't even find all the triangles on a sheet of twelve simple shapes. What a humbling experience. However, I gritted my teeth and decided to think about where I was going, not where I was starting. In the end, I am really glad that I stuck with it.

Have hope and courage.

I must say, again, how thrilled I am for you that you have found a compassionate and concerned doctor. You are the envy of 99.9% of the TBI folks at NT.
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
music-in-me (05-15-2014)