View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
- Sativex is an expensive manufactured chemical compound. Unlike cannabis, it is not natural if that matters to anyone.
I'm not sure where you got that information.
Quote:
[Sativex] is distinct from all other pharmaceutically produced cannabinoids currently available because it is a mixture of compounds derived from Cannabis plants, rather than a mono-molecular synthetic product. The drug is a pharmaceutical product standardised in composition, formulation, and dose, although it is still effectively a tincture of the cannabis plant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabiximols
Quote:
Below are a few facts about Sativex that should be considered:

1. Sativex is a marijuana extract.

Despite its pharmaceutical sounding name, Sativex is made from the cannabis plant itself. GW Pharmaceuticals CEO Geoffrey Guy has noted to the press that Sativex contains all of the same compounds found in cannabis.
http://www.leafscience.com/2014/03/0...-know-sativex/
One of the most difficult arguments to overcome against legalization and to sway the medical community has to do with dose standardization/purity issues, which Sativex ostensibly overcomes. It contains the 2 desired active ingredients in controllable measured amounts, while whole plant MMJ contains literally hundreds of substances in varying amounts—even within the same strain and/or clones of the same plant (due to growth variables).

I'm not arguing for/against here—just trying to explain what I see as differences & obstacles.

Your other points seem spot-on.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
beatle (05-15-2014), eva5667faliure (05-19-2014), ginnie (05-15-2014)