View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 02:58 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanshan View Post
Could someone please speak to whether or not a person with non-diabetic neuropathy should cut carbs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
It is refined sugar and white carbs, gluten bread etc which should be avoided as much as possible.
I agree. I can no longer eat sugar, flour, rice, potatos... any of the complex starches. I eat fruits, but solid/pulpy ones rather than juicy ones. Most (see below) veggies are fine. I've also found that, despite being Dx'd as non-diabetic idiopathic, my body/PN still responds as if I were diabetic, so I avoid all sugar sweets (including honey) and even sugar alcohols, found in many "sugar-free" and "diabetic" foods/treats. It makes finding chocolate I can eat a real bear.

There's also a possibility that some fruits/vegetables could still be triggers for you. I have to watch nightshades; they exacerbate my symptoms.

Trial & error should help you identify them. Keep a diary of what you eat/drink. If a flare occurs, review what you've eaten/drunk over the past 24-72 hours (some triggers can be delayed). I also have triggers I can get away with once (a week or month) but any more than that and they cause a flare.

The fun never stops.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cat1234 (05-26-2014), glenntaj (05-16-2014)