View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014, 05:57 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark is right, you need to see an endocrinologist.

But I would warn against seeing a "life extension" Dr. who are also known as "anti-aging" Dr.'s until you have absolutely tried every other avenue to pursue this kind of testing and treatment.

Anti-aging Dr.'s are not well respected in the medical communities, their methods are seen as quackery by many and they are VERY expensive - typically only seen by rich and famous.

I was under the care of a neurologist when I began to strongly suspect that pituitary dysfunction was what was causing me so many problems - I had been seeing her for 2 years and she was my second neuro; having fired the first one within 4 months after the accident I was in.

Anyway, when I mentioned to her that I thought I might be suffering from pituitary dysfunction she boldly said it was "impossible" and dismissed the idea. I brought her 2 inches thick of research I had conducted and she was completely fascinated.

I had to visit 4 different endocrinologists before finding one who would even order the tests. The first endo didn't have enough experience with it, so she sent me to the second who said I didn't hit my head hard enough to cause pituitary dysfunction. How does he know how hard I hit my head?

At the time I could barely walk or talk... that's how bad I was. He also said that hormone dysfunction had nothing to do with cognitive functioning - he was WRONG. So, unfortunately, not even all endocrinologists are familiar with pituitary dysfunction due to brain injury or concussion.

I finally saw Dr. Theodore C. Friedman in Los Angeles and he ordered the tests and is now my treating physician. I recommend that you see him if you can afford it. He teaches at UCLA and is primarily a researcher. He only sees patients one evening a week and he does not take any insurance. People travel across the country to see him ... I know someone who saw him who lives in FL. He is well worth it.

If you can't afford to see him, which I understand, then try to find someone in your area who is listed on the Pituitary Network Association website. http://pituitary.org/medical-resourc...sicians?site=1
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kate89 (05-17-2014), MomWriterStudent (05-16-2014)